I love France but I have never been there... my life is New Zealand is about 24 hours flight away...

Join me if you love to travel in your mind and appreciate all things French whilst being based firmly in 'your ordinary life'.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

War memorial for Kiwi Soldiers in Le Quesnoy

A lovely article today in the news about New Zealand soldiers (the NZ Rifle Brigade) who died in active duty near Le Quesnoy, 93 years ago in WW1. Heartbreakingly, their sacrifice took place just a week before the War ended.  122 kiwi soldiers died.

They have not been forgotten by the locals at Le Quesnoy, a small town near the Belgium border.Yesterday it was announced that a new memorial museum and hotel is to be built in their honour.  Described as a "NZ hotel in France" by Military historian Herb Farrant, the hotel and museum commence construction in about a years time.

One of things that draws me to France is the history of people who have died on French soil defending all that is good and fair. I believe my grandfather on my mothers side was wounded in WW1 as a member of the British Engineers Corp. I hope some day to stand where he might have stood and pay homage to him and his generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment