I love France but I have never been there... my life is New Zealand is about 24 hours flight away...

Join me if you love to travel in your mind and appreciate all things French whilst being based firmly in 'your ordinary life'.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review - C'est la Vie

Book Review - Cést la Vie by Suzy Gershman

I loved this - started reading it and before I knew it, I was stopping every 5 minutes to do another chapter. The author is an American lady who has obviously travelled extensively around France but at 52, finds herself suddenly widowed with the opportunity to live her dream - to settle in Paris for a year.

Shes funny (paying for her husbands funeral with her credit card to get the airpoints), honest (none of the French clothes fit her) and certainly gets out and about. I enjoyed hearing about the nightmare of finding an apartment, the things she learnt and her first post husband romance. 

And shop... my god, she does not stop!! In her 'real' life Suzy Gershman is the author of a range of travel guides aimed at shopping - "Born to Shop"and so now I know all about linen, furniture and clothes shopping. Its light weight and might even offend some people but as she says at the end of the book "I have eliminated the depressing parts. You won't miss them at all".

She sounds like a very gutzy 52 year old lady - I should be so brave

No comments:

Post a Comment