I love France but I have never been there... my life is New Zealand is about 24 hours flight away...

Join me if you love to travel in your mind and appreciate all things French whilst being based firmly in 'your ordinary life'.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

"Summers in France" - Kathryn M Ireland

Well, you know I love a good book about people buying a house in France and living the good life but this one got off side with me in about 5 minutes (did read it to the end though!!) - its like an indulgence book with an obviously wealthy woman buying a fabulous big rambling old farmhouse near Toulouse - from the apology at the front to her kids about forcing them to spend their holidays in France every summer to "how tos" for catering for 20 at a time, it was just a bit too obvious that Kathryn was not short of a penny and had the beautiful people staying with her. I think I like my books about France to be more about people that have really made a sacrifice to live their dream or taken a gamble. Kathryn did not appeal to me ("at the end of every summer my accountant told me how much I had spent on entertaining at my French house and I just did not care").
Its most unusual for me NOT to enjoy a picture book about this topic but sorry, it just did not appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment